How to use an Android Phone as a Webcam in the Garage:
On the Android phone that will be installed in the garage:
- Download IP Webcam to the phone from the Market.
- Configure the IP Webcam settings and note the port (default is 8080)
- On your router allow port forwarding for this IP and port so you can access the video remotely.
On your phone that you will access the webcam from:
- Download tinyCam from the Market
- Configure the tinyCam settings
- Name the camera
- Camera vendor will be IP Webcam for Android
- Camera model will be Generic
- Hostname will be the IP address of your router
- Port will be what you set up on the IP Webcam settings
- On the Webcam phone, launch IP Webcam
- Click on “Start Server”
- From your active phone, launch tinyCam, choose Live View, then choose the webcam you created above, and you should be able to see the video feed.
- Note that if the room is dark, you can turn on the LED on the phone.
- Once camera loads, in the bottom left, tap the dots 2 times and click the “up arrow” relay button.
- To turn off, tap the “down arrow” relay button.
- You can also retrieve the video feed from the web by typing in the IP address and port number from a browser
- I.E http://12.345.678.912:8080
- You will get the Android webcam server page
- Choose “Use Java Plug in”
- There is an “Open Camera Controls” button so you can toggle the LED on or off on the camera.
These steps will allow you to remotely access your Android phone installed in your garage, pointed at the door, so that you can check if you closed the door or not.
This can also be used for any other location that you want to monitor while you are away from home or the office.